Summer school 2016
Discover the challenges of tomorrow! August 21-27 2016
Join the Plas@Par summer school entitled, “From the laboratory to the distant universe, the World of Plasmas”. This school is organized once a year during one week in August. We offer the unique possibility to join, free of charge, a 5 days summer school in Banyuls (Languedoc-Roussillon). This school is targeting students entering the master level, but can also be appreciated by master students to broaden their horizon or PhD students that are searching to change research topics.
Lectures, accommodation (hotel and restaurant) and transfer Paris - Banyuls are free of charge.
The main objective of the summer school is to introduce plasma physics in any state from Laboratory, to the distant universe. Plas@Par selects good ranked students with a good background in physics or applied mathematics, to introduce them to the diversity of plasma physics. Hence the formation covers various aspects of plasmas: astrophysical and natural plasmas, laboratory plasmas generated by lasers, electrical devices, ion beams, and also cold plasmas for industrial applications etc.
Program director: Philippe Savoini
Plenary lectures and hands-on sessions on:
- Introduction to Plasma Physics
- Astrophysical Plasmas
- Spectroscopy : foundations and applications for diagnostic
- Symbiosis between plasmas and technologies
- Plasmas for Energy and Fusion (Tokamak and other Devices)
- Plasma for Environment
- Laser generated Plasmas
- Plasma physics as an innovative opportunity for space propulsion
AdmissionPLAS@PAR welcomes worldwide students holding a Bachelor’s Degree, or an undergraduate Master's degree (L3-M1).
Students should have completed at least 2 years of university studies. They should hold a Bachelor degree in Physics, Astronomy, Astrophysics (or a certified equivalent amount of learning in the same field, quantified as 3 years of previous studies corresponding to at least 180 credits in the European Credit Transfer System).
As a result of the limited available spots (max. 25 students), the selection will be made based on a CV and the shortlisting of the students will be undertaken at the beginning of June.
In order to apply to our Summer School, you will have to send the required documents (look at the present school section to download the form). In short, you will have to send us
- Completed and signed application form.
- A copy of your ID, or passport.
- A copy of your student card.
- A copy of your recent transcript and proof of diploma/degree (translation in English or French is mandatory). (in particularly, your grades from your last year at the university)
- A certification of good knowledge of the English (not required if english is your mother tongue).
- Letters of recommendation from one or two referees (in English or French). Recommended but not mandatory
At the end of the summerschool a certificate of achievement is given to the student. DEADLINE was May 31st 2016
For more information, contact: Xavier Fresquet